MSK Ultrasound Course – Lower Extremity ONLY
Name of the course:
MSK Ultrasound Course – Lower Extremity ONLY
Number of hours:
Description of the course:
This course helps you create a foundation in the emerging field of MSK Ultrasound, specifically covering the lower extremities. You’ll learn musculoskeletal anatomy and sonoanatomy, probe placement, ultrasound guided imaging fundamentals and practical examples, pathology and ultrasound guided injections. Get in-depth training today and gain a solid understanding of the musculoskeletal ultrasound field, with plenty of virtual ‘hands-on’ learning that enables you to truly become an MSK Master.
Upon completion of this course, each student should be able to:
- Establish a solid understanding of MSK ultrasound imaging fundamentals
- Recognize normal ultrasound anatomy of the Lower Extremity (hip, knee, foot & ankle and lumbar spine)
- Be able to recognize abnormal ultrasound anatomy of the Lower Extremity
- Understand common Lower Extremity pathology
- Understand the ins and outs of musculoskeletal ultrasound scanners
- Understand the role of musculoskeletal ultrasound in clinical practice
- Understand the mechanics and ergonomics needed to perform accurate ultrasound guided injections which produced optimal outcomes
- Gain access to our MSK ultrasound report templates
- This module provides an Introduction to basic Grayscale Imaging and Normal Sonoanatomy
- Session 1: Reviews the crucial nature of knowing normal sonoanatomy.
- Session 2: Reviews Image Acquisition, Image Orientation and Image Interpretation Algorithm.
- Session 3: Reviews normal Sonoanatomy. Clearly understanding normal sonoanatomy precedes accurate identification of pathology.
- Overview: The Hip – More than Bursitis
- Session 1: presents the single Anterior Hip image which yields much diagnostic information
- Session 2: presents the Ilio-Psoas Tendon, Greater Trochanteric Tendons (GMin and GMed)
- Session 3: the Piriformis Muscle, Sciatic Nerve, Prosthetic Hips, Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve
- Overview: The Knee – Above, Below and All Around
- Session 1: presents the Supra-Patellar Recess which is a common site for guided injections, Femoral Trochlea to evaluate osteoarthritis
- Session 2: teaches the Infra-PatellarTendon, Hoffa’s Fat Pad, Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), Peroneal Nerve
- Session 3: the Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL), Medial Meniscus,Pes Anserine Bursa, Medial Plica Syndrome, Medial Patello Femoral Ligament (MPFL) involved in Patellar tracking diagnosis
- Session 4: the Popliteal Fossa, Baker’s Cyst, Popliteal Neuro-Vascular Bundle
- Overview: The Foot & Ankle: Achilles, Plantar Fascia and More
- Session 1: presents the ExtensorTendons of the toes, Tib-Talar Joint (Ankle Joint), Deep Peroneal Nerve, Anterior Talo-Fibular (ATFL) Ligament, Tib-Fib Ligament (High Ankle Sprains)
- Session 2: presents the Peroneal Tendons, Calcaneo-Fibular (CFL) ligament
- Session 3: presents the Medial Ankle (Tarsal Tunnel), Deltoid Ligaments
- Session 4: presents the Achilles Tendon, Saphenous Vein, Sural Nerve, Medial Sub-Talar Joint
- Session 5: presents Plantar Fascia, Plantar Plate, 1st Metatarso-Phalangeal Joint (MTP), Flexor Hallucis Longus (FHL) Tendon, Inter-digital lesions
- Overview: The Spine – Lumbar Spine
- Session 1: presents the transducer selection for spinal imaging, patient position, the “Navigation Triangle”, the two long axis(LAX) angles of insonation, the Erector Spinae Muscles and Multifidus Muscles
- Session 2: presents the Short Axis Imaging, Facet Joints, the “King Sign” and Facet Joint innervation
- Session 3: presents the Sacro-Iliac Joint, SI Joint Injection technique, Long Posterior SI Ligaments, Ilio-Lumbar Ligament, Caudal Epidural Space
- Overview: Common lower extremity pathology
- Session 1: presents the Anterior Hip Capsule, Acetabular Labrum, Psoas Tendon, Gluteal Tendon (GMin,GMax) insertions on the Greater Trochanter, Snapping Hip Syndromes
- Session 2: presents the Sciatic Nerve and Piriformis Muscle imaging, Hamstring Tendons (Semi-Membranosus, Conjoined Tendons)
- Session 3: presents the Suprapatellar Effusions, Quadriceps Tendon, Femoral Trochlea Osteoarthritis, Bi-Partite Patella, Infra-Patellar Tendinosis, Osgood Schlatter’s Disease, Infra-Patellar Fat Pad Impingement
- Session 4: presents the Medial Menicus Tears, Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Tears, Pes Anserine Bursa, Medial Plica Syndrome
- Session 5: presents the Ilio-Tibial Band (ITB), the often neglected Tibio-Fibular Joint, Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), Peroneal Nerve, Popliteal Fossa and Baker’s Cyst, Tibial Neuro-Vascular Bundle
- Session 6: the the Tibio-Talar Joint Effusions, Anterior Talo-Fibular (ATFL), Calcaneo-Fibular (CFL) Ligaments, Tib-Fib Ligament (High Ankle Sprain), Lisfranc Injury (Mid-Foot Disruption), Tibialis Posterior Tendon Rupture, Plantar Foot Lipoma, Plantar Fasciitis, Inter-Digital Neuroma, Plantar Plate Fracture
- Overview: presents the needed mechanics and ergonomics to perform accurate ultrasound guided injections which produced optimal outcomes.
- Session 1: discusses ultrasound images and the importance it plays in injections
- Session 2: discusses Maintaining Sterile Field, Optimal Ergonomics for the procedure, Initial Needle Advancement (Puncture Site) relative to depth of target, suggestions for Needle Localization, and maintaining “Perpendicularity” to the ultrasound beam.
- Session 3: discusses Out Of Plane Injections, The “Falling Star”, Beam Steering to enhance needle perpendicularity, Guided Injection Examples: Sub-Acromial/Deltoid, Gleno-Humeral Joint,Median Nerve, DeQuervain’s Out Of Plane, Medial Collateral Ligament, Calcific Tendinosis Supraspinatus, Baker’s Cyst Aspiration, Lateral Epicondyle, Intra-Muscular, Plantar Foot/Heel.
Learn about the Instructor
Randy E. Moore
DC, RDMS, RMSK
Dr. Moore is an extremely highly regarded and sought after pioneer, teacher and author in the quickly emerging field of musculoskeletal sonography. He teaches using straightforward and easy to understand teaching methods that have been deemed essential to shortening the learning curve for medical practitioners, medical sonographers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, physical therapists and allied health professionals as they develop expertise in MSK sonography.