IDN Neurologic Dry Needling for Cranio-Cervical Pain & Dysfunction Course – Cleveland (Solon), OH
The purpose of the Neurologic Dry Needling for Cranio-Cervical Pain & Dysfunction Course is to obtain knowledge and clinical skills necessary to diagnose and treat pain and neuromuscular dysfunction in the Cranio-Cervical region. This 8.25 -hour applied-learning course combines interactive lectures and practical hands-on labs. This advanced level course is intended for clinicians with prior dry needling training and experience. It is not a pre-requisite to have attended the IDN Foundation course prior to attending this course; the clinician can have obtained dry needling training from a different educational provider. Students participate in several practical sessions, which are intended to provide an understanding and clinical skills to deliver safe and effective Neurologic Dry Needling treatment to the Cranio-Cervical region. The practical lab sessions enable students to critically self-evaluate if additional instruction or self-study is needed for clinical competency. Participants will be required to complete a post-course multiple choice assessment based on a relevant case study to demonstrate understanding of the key objectives. A passing score of > 80% is required.
Continuing Education: Approved for 7 CCUs by the Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy. Approved for 8.25 CEUs from Illinois State Board of Physical Therapy and PENDING Approval from the Ohio Physical Therapy Board for 8.25 hrs.
Neurologic Dry Needling for Cranio-Cervical Pain and Dysfunction
Neurologic Dry Needling for Cranio-Cervical Pain & Dysfunction is an advanced level training program designed for clinicians that have prior dry needling training and are utilizing it clinically. This course will develop the knowledge and clinical skills required to effectively diagnose and treat painful neuromuscular conditions in the cranial, facial and cervical regions. This course details the musculoskeletal and neuroanatomical relationships, both peripheral and central, that exist between the regions. role of inflammation (neurogenic) in the production of pain and dysfunction is described and discussed. This course is primarily lab-based focusing on clinical decision-making and improving treatment outcomes in this challenging patient population. The clinical rationale for treating both the cervical and cranial regions concurrently is explained to maximize treatment effect. Case examples of common clinical conditions are discussed and treatment plans are practiced.
The Integrative Dry Needling Specialty Course: Neurologic Dry Needling for Cranio-Cervical Pain and Dysfunction covers:
- Dry needling techniques- (80% of the needling technique is virtually pain-free)
- Detailed, tried and tested needling safety techniques and contraindications for dry needling therapy to avoid human error in clinical practice.
- Adaptable dry needling system that easily adapts to clinical practice and to the specific needs of each patient.
- Neurologic trigger point concept (physiological and biomechanical approach).
- Clinical scenarios of common clinical diagnoses are discussed and dry needling treatment techniques practiced.
- By the conclusion of the course the participant will be able to independently evaluate musculoskeletal dysfunction relating to cranio-cervical conditions.
- Independently evaluate peripheral nerve dysfunctions relating to a given cranio-cervical condition.
- Independently identify a minimum of three peripheral cranio-cervical neuro-trigger points in a given case study.
- At the conclusion of the course the participant will be able to independently select proper prevention and management strategies of adverse responses to dry needling based on OSHA requirements during case study presentations.
- By the conclusion of the course the participant will be able to correctly defend the IDN system for treatment of neuromusculoskeletal pain based on the unique neurology and physiology of neuro-trigger points.
- By the end of the course, participants will be able to independently integrate Neurologic Dry Needling into a patient’s plan of care with relation to current clinical guidelines.
The structure of this course 8.25 -hour intensive practical classroom program addresses theory and key principles with extensive supervised participant practice.
- Multiple PowerPoint presentations with video support will begin each new section.
- Use of 3-dimensional video technology to improve the participants under-standing and appreciation for the anatomical structures.
- Instructor demonstration of the techniques allowing ample time for questions.
- Interactive lab sessions will follow where the participants practice and discuss each new technique and concept with each other and with the instructor.
- After each interactive lab section is concluded there is an instructor summary and time for participants to ask additional questions.
|8:00 – 9:00||Introduction of the systems: Physiological mechanisms of neurologic dry needling, including neurogenic inflammation; peripheral and central mechanisms; Review of safety procedures, Adverse reactions, OSHA guidelines.|
|9:00 – 9:15||Break|
|9:15 – 11:00||Needling Technique Lab: Trigeminal Nerve distribution: The effect on Craniocervical Pain and Dysfunction.|
|11:00 – 12:30||Needling Technique Lab: Temporomandibular Joint: Lateral and Medial Ptyergoids, Masseter, Temporalis, Suprahyoids.|
|12:30 – 1:30||Lunch break|
|1:30 – 3:30||Needling Technique Lab: Posterior Cervical Spine including suboccipital region; Greater Occipital Nerve.|
|3:30 – 5:30||Needling Technique Lab: Spinal Accessory Nerve, Dorsal Scapular Nerve distribution and Thoracic Spine- Effect on Craniocervical Pain and Dysfunction.|
[tabby title=”Travel & Accommodations”]
Airport : Cleveland Hopkins Airport (CLE)
Hotel Options : Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland – Solon – A block of rooms has been reserved at a discounted rate of $99.00 in the Homewood Suites where the seminar is being held. The hotel is newly renovated and very convenient. Please click the hotel link to book your room at the discounted rate. This is only an option and you can certainly book a room any where you choose.