IDN Foundation Dry Needling Course – Youngstown (Canfield), OH
IDN Foundation Course – Neurologic Dry Needling for Pain Management and Sports Rehabilitation
Neurologic Dry Needling for Pain Management and Sports Rehabilitation is the culmination of the work and clinical experience of Dr. Yun-tao Ma and Dr. Frank Gargano DPT. The Integrative Dry Needling (IDN) training program will develop the knowledge and clinical skills required to effectively diagnose
and treat painful neuromuscular conditions.
IDN teaches you to treat the body systemically; we do not divide the body into upper and lower halves requiring you to take 2 courses before you can treat the entire body. Our system is built on the foundation of Neurological Dry Needling that provides a logical and systematic process for addressing pain and dysfunction. As a result, course participants develop an adaptable clinical procedure allowing immediate integration of dry needling into clinical practice.
The Integrative Dry Needling Foundation Course for Pain Management and Sports Rehabilitation covers:
- Dry needling techniques- (80% of the needling technique is virtually pain-free)
- Detailed, tried and tested needling safety techniques and contraindications for dry needling therapy to avoid human error in clinical practice.
- Adaptable dry needling system that easily adapts to clinical practice and to the specific needs of each patient.
- Systemic Homeostatic trigger point concept (physiological and biomechanical approach).
- Paraspinal trigger point concept (neurosegmental and dermatomal approach).
- Symptomatic trigger point concept (neuromyofascial pain in the head, neck, shoulder, upper limbs, thoracic, lumbar, hip and lower limbs).
- Independently identify each of the three types of trigger points (homeostatic, paravertebral and symptomatic) in a given case study.
- Integrate the physiological mechanisms of needling when developing a treatment plan for a given musculoskeletal condition.
- Discuss the prevention and management of adverse responses to dry needling based on OSHA requirements with 100% accuracy during case study.
- Independently apply dry needling treatment safely into musculoskeletal trigger points during lab sessions.
- Independently evaluate soft tissue dysfunctions relating to a given musculoskeletal condition and pain.
- Correctly defend the IDN system for treatment of musculoskeletal pain based on the unique neurology and physiology of neuro-trigger points.
- Independently discuss integrating the IDN system into the participant’s physical therapy practice in relation to current clinical, legislative and billing barriers.
The 27 hour intensive practical classroom structured program addresses theory and key principles with extensive and supervised participant practice.
- Multiple PowerPoint presentations with video support will begin each new section.
- Instructor demonstration of the techniques allowing ample time for questions.
- Interactive lab session will follow where the participants practice and discuss each new technique and concept.
- After each interactive lab section is concluded there is an instructor summary and time for any additional questions.
|8:00-9:30||Lecture 1: Introduction of concept, physiological mechanisms of dry needling, peripheral and central mechanisms, specific and non-specific mechanisms.|
|9:45–10:30||Safety Lecture (Adverse Reactions, OSHA guidelines, BBP, Precautions)|
|10:30-11:15||Needling insertion techniques using ½”- 1” needle. Lab practice.|
|11:15–12:00||Lecture 2: Neuroanatomy of neuro-trigger points and development of Homeostatic neuro-trigger points.|
|1:00 – 2:30||Lab: Surface anatomy of neuro-trigger points in head, cervical, upper extremities|
|2:30- 3:30||Needling Lab-1”: Deep Radial (1), Superficial Radial (12), Lateral Antebrachial Cutaneous (9).|
|3:30 – 3:45||Break|
|3:45-4:45||Lab: Surface anatomy of neuro-trigger points trunk and lower extremities|
|4:45-6:00||Quantitative Analysis- Lab practice|
|8:00-10:30||Needling Lab- 3” needling of 5 points in the hip. Iliopsoas/pectineus/adductor/Inferior Gluteal (16), Superior Cluneal (14). Break on your own|
|10:30-12:30||Needling Lab-2”: (2:2 Concept)- Lumbar to include Posterior cutaneous of L2 & L5, T7, Suprascapular (8) (infraspinatus), Latissimus, Lateral Pectoral (17) with pectoralis-horizontal needling.|
|1:30-3:00||Needling Lab-1”: (1:1 Concept)- Dorsal Scapular (13), Posterior Cutaneous of T6 (21), Abdominals.|
|3:00 – 4:30||Craniofacial Pain and Dysfunction: Needling Lab- ½”: Face and head- Supraorbital (23), Infraorbital (19), Masseter, Temporalis (horizontal needling) Suprahyoids, Greater Auricular (2)|
|4:30- 6:00||Needling Lab: Lower Extremity: ITB (18), Lateral Popliteal (11), Saphenous (4), Common Fibular (24), Sural (10), Tibial (6), Deep Fibular (5)|
|8:00-10:00||Cervical Needling Lecture and Lab- Sternocleidomastoid, Greater Occipital (7), Posterior Cervical-Paravertebrals, Suboccipitals.|
• Shoulder (supraspinatus) needling (muscular, musculotendinous, subacromial approach), Spinal Accessory (3);
• Electrical nerve stimulation (ENS) demonstration and lab.
• Special techniques: Twitching/Pistoning, Needle Rotation, Tenting.
|12:30 – 1:00||Working Lunch|
|1:00 – 2:00||Administrative Discussion: Consent to treat, political & legislative issues
marketing, and final details of providing clinical dry needling.
|2:00 – 2:45||Written test and Case studies as a group.|
|2:45 – 5:30||Practical Examinations|
[tabby title=”Travel & Accommodations”]
Akron-Canton Airport (CAK)
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
Hotel Options :
Courtyard by Marriott (Youngstown-Canfield) – The course is being held at this hotel. A block of rooms has been reserved at a discounted rate. Click the hotel link to reserve a room with the discounted rate.
Hampton Inn & Suites, Youngstown-Canfield 6690 Ironwood Blvd, Canfield, OH 44406
Holiday Inn, Youngstown-South (Boardman) 7410 South Ave, Boardman, OH 44512
Hampton Inn, Youngstown-West I-80 880 N Canfield Niles Rd, Youngstown, OH 4451
Courtyard by Marriott – Youngstown-Canfield
4173 Westford Place
Canfield, OH 44406
Student Reviews & Testimonials