IDN Diagnostic Ultrasound For The Assessment & Dry Needling Treatment Of Tendinopathy – Cleveland (Solon), OH
The purpose of the Diagnostic Ultrasound For The Assessment & Dry Needling Treatment Of Tendinopathy course is to obtain knowledge and clinical skills necessary to evaluate joints and associated muscles and tendons and effectively treat common areas of tendinopathy. This 16 -hour applied-learning course combines live demonstrations and practical hands-on labs. Students participate in small groups of 2 or 3 to practice getting reliable and reproducible images, which will be evaluated by the instructor with individual feedback provided. Supervised lab sessions are performed to safely and effectively visualize, and dry needle pathologic tendons and other soft tissue structures.
This advanced-level course is intended for clinicians with prior dry needling training and experience. It is not a pre-requisite to have attended the IDN Foundation course prior to attending this course; the clinician can have obtained dry needling training from a different educational provider.
Learn more about the course instructor: Dr. Steve Coppola
IDN Diagnostic Ultrasound For The Assessment & Dry Needling Treatment Of Tendinopathy
IDN has collaborated with Dr. Steve Coppola PT, DPT, Cert. MSKUS to provide a musculoskeletal ultrasound guided dry needling course that is 95% hands-on-training. You will master our 5 P’s system of assessment and treatment allowing you to confidently identify normal anatomy to facilitate clinical decision-making. Ultrasound guided dry needling treatment is focused on utilizing percutaneous needle tenotomy (PNT) for the shoulder tendon insertions and other common sites of tendinopathy of the upper and lower extremity such as lateral epicondyle origin, Achilles tendon insertion, patella tendon, quadriceps tendon insertion, gluteus medius and minimus insertion. Research of PNT on commonly visualized tendon dysfunction supports that dry needling, in the symptomatic areas, can yield long-term benefits that rival Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections. You will learn and be able to give visual feedback to your patients demonstrating the anatomical condition of their joints and tendons.
*This is an advanced level course and it is a requirement that you have prior dry needling training and experience.
*Course content is not intended for use by participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.
At the end of this course that participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate the application of the 5 P’s of diagnostic ultrasound in a given case study
- Discuss the current research on the benefits of percutaneous needle tenotomy for a given case study example.
- Independently demonstrate competence and safe technique in dry needling tendons while utilizing ultrasound.
- Demonstrate and produce images practicing scanning protocol for the shoulder and other specific tendons and nerves for the upper and lower extremities during lab sessions.
- Demonstrate the normal sonographic anatomy of the shoulder and various tendons and nerves of the upper and lower extremities during lab sessions.
- Demonstrate in and out of plane ultrasound guided dry needling techniques for a given musculoskeletal condition.
- Demonstrate ultrasound guided dry needling treatments for pathologic tendons of the upper and lower extremities for a given case study.
The structure of this course 16-hour intensive practical lab hands-on-lab and didactic program that addresses theory and key principles with extensive supervised participant practice.
- PowerPoint presentations supporting proper technique and current research.
- Learn use of MSK ultrasound to improve the participants understanding and appreciation for the anatomical structures of what is normal.
- Instructor demonstration of the techniques of evaluation and dry needling under MSK ultrasound.
- Interactive lab sessions where participants practice and save their MSK ultrasound images to be evaluated and discussed with the instructor.
- After each interactive lab section is concluded there is an instructor summary and time for participants to ask additional questions.
- Small group practice of MSK ultrasound imaging skills for the shoulder and other specific tendons and nerves of the upper and lower extremities
- Implement and practice utilizing the different techniques of handling the transducer to optimize MSK ultrasound image.
|8:00-8:45||Lab break out groups : Orientation of MSK Ultrasound knobology and the 4 scanning techniques using the transducer.|
|8:45 – 9:30||Quick start protocol handout and lecture on the 5 Ps of MSK ultrasound imaging and defining what normal anatomic structures looks like under ultrasound.|
|9:30- 10:15||Lab: Instructor demonstration on ultrasound scanning of shoulder. :|
|10:30-12:30||Lab: Group break outs for practice on ultrasound scanning of the shoulder with instructor feedback and evaluation on images.|
|1:30 – 2:00||Lab: Continue Group break outs for practice on ultrasound scanning of the shoulder with instructor feedback and evaluation on images.|
|2:00 – 3:00||Lecture and Instructor demonstration on ultrasound guided needling of shoulder with instructor feedback and evaluation on proper and safe technique.|
|3:00 – 3:15||Break|
|3:15 – 4:45||Lab: Ultrasound guided needling of shoulder with instructor feedback & evaluation.|
|4:45 – 5:15||Lecture: Research presented on ultrasound guided needling of shoulder with Q & A time.|
|8:00-8:45||Lab: Instructor demonstration of ultrasound scanning of the Patellar, Quadriceps, and Achilles Tendons.|
|8:45-10:15||Lab: Group break outs for practice on ultrasound scanning of the Patella, Quadriceps and Achilles with instructor feedback and evaluation on images.|
|10:30-11:15||Lab: Instructor demonstration on ultrasound scanning of Patella, Quadriceps, and Achilles Tendons.|
|11:15-12:30||Lab: Group break outs for practice on ultrasound guided dry needling of the Patella, Quadriceps, and Achilles Tendons with instructor feedback and evaluation on proper and safe technique.|
|1:30 – 2:45||Lab: Instructor demonstration of ultrasound scanning of the elbow, hip scanning and dry needling treatment.|
|2:45 – 4:15||Lab: Group break outs for practice on ultrasound scanning of the elbow, hip with instructor feedback and evaluation on images.|
|4:15 – 5:15||Lab: Group break outs for practice on ultrasound guided dry needling of the elbow, hip/feedback on needling of elbow, and hip with instructor feedback and evaluation on proper and safe technique.|
|5:15 – 5:30||Review, summarize and final Q & A.|
Travel & Accommodations
Airport : Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Hotel Options :
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Cleveland/Solon
6040 Enterprise Pkwy
Solon, OH 44139
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon
6085 Enterprise Pkwy
Solon, OH 44139
Location : The course will be held at Signature of Solon. After pulling into Signature of Solon, drive straight through the first intersection and follow the drive to the parking lot in the front of the building. (you do not have to drive through the gate)
Signature of Solon
39000 Signature Drive
Solon, OH 44139